Thursday, June 24, 2010

If My Heart Was a House, You'd be Home.

Sometimes I get into "girl mood" and become depressed and upset for no. good. reason. Not only is there no good reason, there is no reason, period! This goes on for a lovely day or two. But this generally doesn’t happen if I’m walking closely, and in step with Christ. And drawing close to Him always, always helps. I love this verse, and I try to remember it if I’m feeling rotten. "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:6-7) :-)

When I get into these moods (and they are seriously rare), I tend to get mad at someone. Usually, myself. Then, perhaps someone else. Parents. A friend. And I was upset with some people last night. After casting my cares upon Him, I read 1 John. I love this book. 1 John is all about loving God by following His commands, and loving our brothers and sisters in Christ, because He loves us. You seriously cannot possibly read through this book, and continue having a hard heart towards fellow brethren. (Did you know brethren, according to the dictionary, actually means "fellow Christians"? I did not know this. I thought it was an old word for brothers.) And God, of course, convicted me that I had no right whatsoever to be upset with my brothers, or withhold my love for them. Forgiveness and compassion should always be shown, because love comes from God, and we cannot be in Him, and not love. Even if I have every right in the world to be upset at someone, I simply cannot be. Sometimes I struggle with reluctantly showing someone grace and patience. But that’s not love. I know what the right thing to do is. But I choose not to do the right thing in my heart. Only with words am I showing grace and understanding, not in deed.

Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. (1 John 3:16)

My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. (1 John 3:18)

He that says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness even until now. (1 John 2:9)

Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God; and every one that loves is born of God, and knows God. (1 John 4:7)

Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. (1 John 4:11)


In other news, we’re slaughtering our chickens this Saturday. That should be fun. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment